SMC, BMC and CSMC thermoset materials are based on unsaturated polyester (UP), vinyl-ester (VE) or epoxy (E) resins, fillers, and glass fibre or carbon fibre reinforcement. Other ingredients such as catalysts, stabilizers, mould release agents, thickeners, pigments and specific additives are used to enhance its properties and facilitate transformation or moulding process according to particular requirements.
SMC, BMC and CSMC thermoset moulding compounds allow some very specific advantages comparing to other competing materials:
- Weight reduction
- Design freedom
- High function integration and complex shapes
- High strength and stiffness exhibiting better strength-to-weight ratios than most metals
- Coefficient of thermal expansion similar to metals
- Corrosion resistance
- Low tendency to creep
- Moulding highest precision
- Dimensional stability. Low to zero shrinkage.
- Class A surface finish
- On-line paintability
- Moulded-in colour
- High operating temperature
- Fire resistance and low smoke emission
- Electrical insulation or conductivity
- Low investment
- Good cost/performance ratio
- Sustainable and recyclable
New features such as food contact, stain and scratch resistance, very low VOC, etc., have been achieved with our SMC, BMC and CSMC formulations.
We partner closely with our customers to design and produce tailor-made SMC, BMC and CSMC materials to fit the specific requirements needed for each project.